Gluten and Dairy Free Nutella
1 1/3 cup hazelnuts
1 3/4 cup almond milk
3/4 cup powdered dairy free powder
3 tablespoons mild-flavored honey
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 pinch of salt
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet, keeping the almonds separate, and toast the nuts in a 165ºC oven, stirring a few times, for 15 minutes or until the hazelnuts are browned.
2. While they are roasting, whisk the powdered milk into the almond milk and warm in a small saucepan with the honey, sugar, coconut oil and salt just until it starts to boil. Remove from heat.
3. Melt the chocolates together until smooth. You can do this in a clean, dry bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water or in the microwave. If using a microwave, heat for 25 seconds and stir, and repeat until smooth.
4. Once the nuts are well-toasted, remove them from oven and remove as much of the loose skin as you can. David recommends rubbing them in a clean tea towel. I found it easier to wait until they were cool, and simply rubbing them together in my hands over the kitchen sink. Remove as much of the loose skin as you can, but they don’t need to be pristine.
5. In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts and almonds until they’re as fine as possible. Mine turned into a paste-like consistency.
7. Once the mixture is smooth, add the warm milk mixture and process until everything is well-combined.
9. Transfer into two jars and refrigerate until ready to use.